[vox-tech] one of the most pernicious spams i've ever seen.

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:12:31 -0700

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:47:00AM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 06:30:32AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> > http://www.citibank.com:ac=3DVybznNffNxknAUxPrfE2jYaQUptJ@a3ksd.PiSeM.N=
eT/3/?IYTEw
> > 4eVTtbH1w6CpDrT
>=20
> This has me flabbergasted. I bet this trick worked very well for the
> scammers. I mean, even though the email is amateurish, the web page
> looks totally legit. I tested this out in konqueror; hovering over any
> link on the page shows that it would be redirected through PsSeM.NeT.
>=20
> I remember seeing something like this during the dot bomb. There was a
> website called something like safeweb.com (I can't remember the actual
> name, it's on the tip of my tounge). The idea was for you to be able to
> surf the web using https--the https server would "wrap" all of the
> target links on a page before serving it to your browser via https--I
> guess a kind of web tunneling.

Oh well, never mind. You would think I would look a little closer.  It's
not wrapping, it's doing a popup--and I normally have popups disabled.
This isn't as bad as I thought, but it still should have fooled a lot of
people.

> --=20
> R. Douglas Barbieri
> doug@dooglio.net
> http://www.dooglio.net
>=20
> vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."
>=20
> GPG Fingerprint: FE6A 6A57 2B95 7594 E534  BFEE 45F1 9E5E F30A 8A27
> GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.asc

--=20
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

vi: "The way God meant for man to edit text files..."

GPG Public key : http://www.dooglio.net/dooglio.asc

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG--