[vox-tech] Resizing Root Partition

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:44:00 -0700

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:05:41AM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

> I'm not a Sys-admin -- just a long-time user -- but I like this partition
> mapping
> because /usr, /tmp, and /var are on their own partitions. I see there's plenty
> of
> room in /usr, but / (root) is filled up (yuck).

As a long time sys admin, the partition mapping is alright as long as
you're running a non journaled filesystem.  The reasons you like to
seperate partitions is due to fsck, and times it takes for a fsck to
run.  Ie, your system has to fsck the system partitions, and
theoretically corruption in one partition will not hinder the boot.
However the practice I have seen is this almost never happens.  What
does happen is if one filesystem is hopelessly corrupted, its likely
that the other partitions(on the same drive) are similarly corrupted.  I
also never timed fsck, but I would think it would take around the same
amount of time to fsck 8 GB whether its one big partition, or 8 1GB
partitions.  In any event, my personal preference is to partition via
disks(p1 and p2 on a are swap, and /boot respectively):

Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3               11G   2.5G   7.6G  25% /
/dev/hdb1               71G    20G    52G  28% /usr

Again this is my preference, and I run reiserfs, so my fsck times are
pretty quick...