[vox-tech] Odd ncftp bug

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:05:54 -0700

On Tue 16 Sep 03, 11:55 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:35:54AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> >
> <snipped: my long original question trimmed to save bandwidth>
> < see web archived version at:

ditto.   ;-)  thanks for putting the url in.  that's good thinking.

> > 1. http://bugs.debian.org
>
> $ cat /etc/issue.net
> Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
> Kernel \r on an \m
>
> ;^)

good tip #38271: debian is your friend (even if you don't want friends)

before you pooh-pooh this idea, the bugs that are in a package on other
linux distros are often the same bugs in debian.  it's true there are
debian specific bugs, but i've found that often, say 40% - 60% of all
the bugs i see are cross distribution.

so even if you're using redhat or mandrake or suse, bugs.debian.org is a
*very* good resource for you to use!

> > 6. strace -o LOG ncftpget -R ftp://USER:"PASSWORD"@ftp.server.com
>
> Ah-hah!  Someone, somewhere, is using "%" as an escape character!
>
> Based on the debug attempt above (where I was doing the "open" command
> within NcFTP client, and not on the command-line in the Bash shell),
> it looks like NcFTP itself is doing this.
>
> I'll have to see if I can get around those "%" characters by
> escaping them myself, somehow.
>
> Thanks! :) :)  Good ol' strace. :)

no problemo!   whenever someone laughs at me for using strace to solve
life's simplest problems, i have to chuckle to myself.

i would probably *hate* linux if it weren't for strace/ltrace.

pete (preparing for hurricane isabel)