[vox-tech] Odd ncftp bug

Bill Kendrick vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:21:43 -0700

I'm noticing an apparent bug in NcFTP (3.1.3; Mar 27, 2002)

This works:

  $ ftp ftp.server.com
  Name: USERNAME
  331 User USERNAME okay, need password.
  Password: PASSWORD
  230 Logged in

And this works:

  $ ncftp ftp://USERNAME:@ftp.server.com
  Logging in...
  Password requested by ftp.server.com for user "USERNAME".

    User USERNASME okay, need password.

  Password: PASSWORD

  Logged in.

However, in SOME cases, the following does NOT work:

  $ ncftp ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.server.com
  Logging in...
  Could not open host ftp.server.com: username and/or password was not accepted

Whatintheheck!?  This works for most of the other accounts I've tried
(I'm writing a script to pull stuff off of various FTP accounts, en masse;
specifically, my variation is:  "ncftpget -R ftp://USER:PASS@host")

The shell is GNU bash 2.05b.0(1)
The FTP server is NcFTPd (can't tell which version).

Many of the passwords in question include "?", "!", "=" and/or "+"
characters.  However, this doesn't seem to be an issue, since I don't
see any pattern where these characters DON'T work, versus when they DO.

I'm quoting them in the shell, too:

  ncftpget -R ftp://USER:"PASSWORD"@ftp.server.com

*boggle*

Besides changing the passwords to something that ncftpget CAN send
properly, is there anything else I can look into!?

Thx!