[vox-tech] minimalist debian?

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:19:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

I'm a Slackware user and I came across an exrtra machine that I thought
I'd use to play around with other distros and/or one of the BSDs.  Debian came
to mind as a good place to go next for two reasons:

1. I've been playing around with Fink on an OS X machine at work, and that
program has really turned me on to the idea of apt-get and it's family
members.

2. I like to keep myself as well-rounded as possible and I've done enough
playing around with RedHat, Mandrake, and their brothers, so Debian seems
like the other major _family_ of distro that I'd like to know more about.

Here's my question: What's the easiest way to install a very-barebones
Debian?  The thing I've always really liked about Slackware is
that it makes no assumptions whatsover about the kind of installation
you'd like to do, so while certainly being less user-friendly, the
intaller allows you to really whittle your system to a few hundred megs of
essentials (that's with X and KDE and quite a few other goodies) as
opposed to a few gigs of libraries and dependancies for redundant programs
I'll never use.

I've been through the Debian installer a few times (though not for a year
or two) and I just remember being kind of an observer as dselect did its
work installing the programs assosiated with a chosen configuration.
Since there seems to be plenty of Debian heads on this list, I
thought maybe someone could throw down a quick 1, 2, 3 or even point me to
a URL about how to install the least amount of Debian possible and then use
apt-get to install whatever I feel like later.

Thanks,
Dave