[vox-tech] File Access Question

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:38:25 -0700

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 12:29:54PM -0700, Andy Campbell wrote:
[...]
> Anyway, after the filesystem check, I go to the directory where I was
> working and some files are not accessible. I get Input/Output errors when=
> ls the files or when I try to access them at all. But evidently they are
> still there.
>=20
> I come to your help now because one file is my source code, and it would
> really be delightful if I could get it back. I really do not want to lose
> the significant development I have done since my last file backup. I figu=
red
> someone on this list who knows more about the Linux filesystem than I do =
may
> know what's going on and how I may get my precious file back.
>=20
> Any advice?
> I am running RT-Linux 3.1 which has patched a 2.4.4 kernel, operating und=
er
> mandrake 8.1...

Look in /lost+found. There is a chance that the data may be there. Otherwis=
e,
you are out of luck; the file was not written to disk and so went away with
the power cycle.

I recommend that you compile your kernel with the magic sysrq key enabled.
(Sysrq is the same as printscreen.) This provides a some keystrokes that can
usually sync the disk and reboot even if the kernel is otherwise
unresponsive. See Documentation/sysrq.txt in the Linux kernel source tree f=
or
the details.

You might also consider a journaling filesystem, such as ext3.

--=20
Henry House
The unintelligible text that may follow is a digital signature.=20
See <http://hajhouse.org/pgp> for information.  My OpenPGP key:
<http://hajhouse.org/hajhouse.asc>.

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG--