[vox-tech] A Debian Laptop Issue

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:32:33 -0700 (PDT)

This is something I was hoping I could take care of at the last
install-fest, but there didn't appear to be one in August, and I never
heard if it was even an appropriate issue for an IF.

I installed Debian onto my Sony Vaio laptop in June, and it worked fine
for awhile... until I attempted to install GNOME-2.0.  Now I cannot get
GNOME working at all, no matter what I do.  Trying "apt-get" and various
permutations thereof simply gives me layer after layer of looping
irresolvable dependencies (or so it seems; I haven't been able to resolve
a single one of them).  I can get X to work (and *that* took some doing,
as X doesn't officially support the video driver on my laptop), and I can
get IceWM to work just fine, but I'd much rather have GNOME or KDE.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm perfectly happy to take this box to the
next IF and give it a brain-wipe; I have yet to do any serious work on
this laptop (though I see a need coming in the next few months).

Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@hotmail.com
invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry