[vox-tech] USB Conflict Woes

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 01 Sep 2003 12:09:58 -0700

...Or, at least, I *think* it's some sort of USB conflict.

I have two USB devices that I use on my RH 8.0 computer (running kernel
2.4.20): a wireless optical mouse and my Palm Tungsten T PDA.  I am
encountering a number of errors involving these devices.

Most of the time, when I hook up my Palm Pilot and attempt to sync it
with my computer, the computer simply freezes, and will no longer
respond to any input from the mouse or the keyboard; I have to reboot
the machine to make it work again.  This happens about 90% of the time.

When the PDA *does* talk to the computer, it does so fine for awhile,
until the mouse freezes up.  This usually happens after the screensaver
has activated; the mouse no longer functions at all; the pointer doesn't
to restart X doesn't do any good, and I once again need to reboot my
machine to get normal functioning back (and, of course, once I do the
chances that the PDA will freeze the computer are too high).

After the PDA freezes up my computer, I naturally examine the system
log, only to see "System bug" just at the crash point, with no more
information.

I'm guessing that what's happening is something to how the system
communicates with the two different USB devices, and that it's getting
confused somewhere.  Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

This excerpt comes from dmesg, and relates to the USB ports:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 12:13:55 May 12 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xc400, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xc800, IRQ 5
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 2
input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb1:2.0
--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford