[vox-tech] samba help: win2k

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:58:03 -0800 (PST)

Your Win2k machine might be trying to be the domain controller, but
unable, because Linux is taking over that job.  Also, SMB is such a flaky
service that it just refuses to work sometimes... or more often than not.
I've had that problem millions of times.  It's just the way it is.  :-(

As for the registry restoration, one used to be able to restore the Win9x
(and WinME too, I think) registry using either regedit or scanreg.  I
don't remember which.  But one of 'em had a /restore option.  Run the tool
under DOS, and you get a text menu that lists all the backed up
registries, and you can select the one you want to restore.  My WinXP
doesn't have scanreg so I guess they took that tool out in the NT kernel
but maybe Win2K has it.  NT Likes to do things graphically so maybe they
have a graphical tool instead.

Probably not very helpful, but it gives you something to think about.

-Mark

PS: If you quote my e-mail, please take my e-mail address off the "On
[date] [mark's e-mail address] wrote:" line.  Thanks!

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius