[vox-tech] samba help: win2k

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:46:49 -0800

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:57:07PM -0800, Jan W wrote:
> --- p@dirac.org wrote:
> > dear jeff, mike and jan,
> >
> > new information.  i should mention this, because it's relevent.  we have
> > three main computers:
> >
> > satan   linux          my main system.  has printer.
> > navalle linux/win98    rhonda's main system / engineering stuff
> > lucifer linux/win2k    my gaming machine / flash stuff
> >
> > recently i've been playing around with flash MX, so i made lucifer a
> > dual boot to run flash.  here's the new information:
> >
> > samba is _already_ set up.  i can browse satan's folders from win98 and
> > vice versa.  samba works great between these two systems.
> >
> > here's the new information.  out of curiosity, i booted up win98.  not
> > only does samba still work (i can browse satan from win98), but in the
> > network neighborhood, i see:
> >
> >    * satan   (linux)
> >    * navalle (win98)
> >    * lucifer (win2k)
> >
> > all systems are browsable from win98.  i can traverse the win2k
> > filesystem.  works great.
> >
> > now i walk 2 feet over the win2k console.  network neighborhood is
> > called "computers near me".
> >
> > i double click it, and get "workgroup is not accessible.  the network
> > path was not found".   it's my understanding that win2k should at least
> > list itself.
> >
> > therefore:
> >
> >    i can browse linux from win98
> >    i can browse win98 from linux
> >
> >    i can browse win2k from win98
> >    i can browse win2k from linux
> >
> >    i can NOT browse win98 from win2k.
> >    i can NOT browse linux from win2k.
> >
> > win2k is giving everyone permission to browse it's filesystem.  however,
> > it doesn't know how to find other systems and cannot browse other
> > filesystems.
> >
> > mike, because samba works between linux and win98, that's why i said i
> > think the problem is the win2k system.  something is definitely screwy
> > with the win2k system.

Probably.  Would have been nice to know initially ;)  In any event, I
would consider going to encrypted passwords.  I think if you ever try to
add winxp to the mix you'll be forced to.

> It sounds to me like a netbios/naming issue.  I could be wrong, but try doing
> the `net view \\xx.xx.xx.x` from lucifer to satan's ip.  If that works, then
> try enabling netbios over tcp/ip in network settings.  It sounds like the win2k
> box isn't talking to the local master, and can't get a browse list.
>

> > this is a LOT more complicated than NFS!!!
>
> That goes without saying ;)  How else would M$ make money if networks didn't
> need an MCSE to adminstrate them?

Actually in a bunch of ways I prefer setting up CIFS/SMB shares as
opposed to NFS.  Ive never had CIFS/SMB lock my system or have odd
automounter issues with it. :-)

My only beef is I can't export a directory, and then mount only a
subdir.  Or has that changed?

Mike