[vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-boot system)

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:25:38 -0800

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 09:54:59PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>=20
> > On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 21:02, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > > You can't uninstall LILO like that.  Uninstalling LILO recreates
> > > the MBR using the backup MBR... since the partition you had the origi=
nal
> > > LILO (which also had the original MBR) is gone, you can't uninstall L=
ILO.
> > >=20
> > > What you wanna do here is REinstall LILO.  Make it boot directly into
> > > Windows without prompting.  Create a lilo.conf file then run:
> >=20
> > I'm not sure I understand how that will work, since lilo.conf lives in
> > /etc, on the Linux side... am I right?  If that's the case, then LILO
> > won't be able to see lilo.conf.=20
>=20
> Concept check: lilo.conf is only significant at the moment the "lilo"
> application is run to install it... the contents of lilo.conf get
> translated into binary information that is stored in the mbr (or the
> beginning of a partition). Where you put lilo.conf is up to you if you use
> the "-C" option.
>=20
> If you are a perfect person or don't mind practicing to be perfect, you
> could cat it to a file in /tmp (ramdisk), give it to lilo with "-C", and
> then send it to bit heaven with the power switch, and lilo could work fine
> from then on.
>=20
> If you are not perfect and the windows partition is formatted as vfat, you
> could put it there... that would only be for your convenience in case you
> have to fine tune it to get it working right.  In this case, be sure not
> to hit the power switch... that trick only works when you only have
> ramdisks mounted.

Doesn't LILO need a second-stage bootloader that lives on a filesystem=20
somewhere? Would the second-stage bootloader be able to live on a vfat=20
or ntfs filesystem? Would LILO keep working if you defragmented the hard=20
drive?

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ

--8P1HSweYDcXXzwPJ--