[vox-tech] BLASPHEMY (i.e., removing Linux from a dual-bootsystem)

Trevor Lango vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:00:25 -0800

Okay, here is what you need/should do:

Boot off of a Windows XP Install CD and select the "Recovery Console"
feature. When you are eventually at a command prompt, typing "fdisk =
/mbr" is
necessary to overwrite LILO BUT will not be good enough for Windows =
XP...!!!
XP uses additional files for booting besides the code residing in the =
MBR so
it is essential that you ALSO type "bootcfg /rebuild" (or bootcfg with
another valid option such as "/add" or "/default" or whatever you feel =
you
need to do...) The combination of rebuilding the MBR and
restoring/re-writing XP's boot files should make the Win OS boot just =
fine.