[vox-tech] lilo, syslinux help

Charles McLaughlin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:43:51 -0700

I am trying to boot Linux off a USB hard drive.  I found a knoppix
derivative called Flonix (http://flonix.tuxfamily.org/) that should work.  I
guess it is meant for booting from USB memory sticks.

I've been messing with this idea for a while and previously installed LILO
on the MBR of the USB hard drive (sdb).  Now I'm following the instructions
on how to get Flonix to boot and am supposed install syslinux on the
partition where Flonix (sdb6).

So I did syslinux /dev/sdb6
but when I try to boot off the USB drive, it boots into LILO not syslinux.

What do I need to do to get rid of LILO and replace it with syslinux?  I'm
assuming that syslinux goes in the MBR, but I don't know why it is
associated with the partition sdb6 not sdb.  (Hope this makes sense)

Thanks,
Charles