[vox-tech] possible to exit ssh with a program running?

Wallace, Pippin vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:03:05 -0600

Have you tried "screen"?  screen is a "window" manager for the terminal.
Similar in concept to tabbed browsing in Mozilla, but without the GUI.
It allows you to have multiple terminal sessions open while only taking
up one on your desktop.  You can detach from a screen session and close
the terminal and reattach with another terminal later.
Here is a link for more info.
http://www.mkaz.com/reference/unix_screen.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Stickel [mailto:jjstickel@myrealbox.com]=20
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 9:18 AM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] possible to exit ssh with a program running?

I know that if I start a terminal window in X, run a program, and then=20
manually close the window, the program dies.  I also know that if I=20
secure-shell into another machine and run a program, I cannot exit=20
without first ending that program.

Is there any way to start a program for a shell window and leave it=20
running when I close the window?  Also, is there anyway to leave a=20
program running remotely, started through an ssh session, and exit ssh?

The later would be very helpful, although I suspect these two issues are

related.  My research involves running computer simulations on several=20
computers on campus.  I would really like to ssh into the machines from=20
home, start the simulations (which generate output to text files), and=20
then exit the ssh sessions with the simulations in progress.  This way I

could close my internet connection (dial-up :( ) and turn my home=20
computer off while the multi-day simulations run.

Is this possible?

Jonathan