[vox-tech] Mysterious sound problems

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:10:42 -0700

Rich

Were you able to play mp3s before, and now it will not?  Have you
checked your XMMS preferences and tried different sound drivers with the
mp3 plugin?

Trouble playing mp3s, specifically with XMMS in RedHat, has threaded
through vox-tech previously.  The important points are:

1) RedHat has purposely "broken" all the media players to prevent mp3
playing

2) To use XMMS to play mp3s with RH, you need to install the xmms-mp3
rpm plugin (found at freshrpms), or compile and install from source.

3)  Sometimes the mp3 plugin defaults to the incorrect sound driver
("output plugin").  Select one that works.  If "disk writer" was used
for output, you just converted all your mp3s to wav files!

Hope this helps.  I don't know about other audio players.

Jonathan