[vox-tech] X-No-Archive Inheritance?

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:37:23 -0700

On Fri 17 Oct 03,  4:00 AM, Ryan Castellucci <ryan+lugod@cal.net> said:

> If I post a message with 'X-No-Archive: Yes' will replys also not be
> archived?

unfortunately not.  two things:

1. we COULD search the body for X-No-Archive, so if someone quoted your
   email, your wishes would be respected.

   it wouldn't be perfect.  what if they trimmed that line?  it would
   depend on a quoting system using ">".  you couldn't post an email
   with a lines like /^X-No-Archive.*/.

2. but you may also ask "so what?".  it's a public forum.  you
   shouldn't expect posts not to be archived.

if you have an idea how to implement a threadful X-No-Archive, and it's
either easy to implement or you want to implement it yourself, then i'm
all for it.

just realize that X-No-Archive is like copy protection.  the responder
can bypass any system we institute.

pete