[vox-tech] debian bug - don't know who to contact

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:55:49 -0700

On Wed 15 Oct 03,  9:15 AM, Matt Roper <matt@mattrope.com> said:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:20:51AM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> > i found a debian bug, but i don't know how to report it.
> >
> > when using modprobe -(a|r) bttv, i always get error messages.  the
> > reason for this is these entries in /etc/modutils/actions:
> >
> >    # The BTTV module does not load the tuner module automatically,
> >    # so do that in here
> >    post-install bttv insmod tuner
> >    post-remove bttv rmmod tuner
> >
> > but, at least for 2.4.22, bttv.o DOES stack tuner.o.
> >
> > the failure message is no big deal.  all it's saying is "i couldn't load
> > tuner.o because it's already loaded".
> >
> > for now, i commented out those lines.  but i'd like to make somebody
> > aware of this (possibly new behavior) of bttv.o.  but i have no idea
> > which package wrote these actions into /etc/modutils/actions.
> >
> > any ideas on how to report this?
>
> Hi Pete.  These lines are present in the /etc/modutils/actions provided
> by a clean install of the modutils package; they were not added by a
> separate package.  It looks like you should file your bug against
> modutils.
>

> Matt

hey matt,

for some reason, i find that totally bizarre, but it appears you're
right - i can't find any of my machines that don't have these actions.

i don't agree with a distribution making corrections for what's probably
a (minor) kernel module dependency bug.  even if bttv used to stack
incorrectly, that was better left as a "look it up on google" than to
stick it into modutils/actions.  kernel developers were bound to correct
the mistake at some point...

anyway, thanks.  i'll make the report right now.

pete