[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:28:08 -0700

Pete

I have studied this a little, but for the purpose of ripping DVDs rather
than capturing input from VHS or television.  I was overwhelmed by all
the options.  In addition to what you discovered and what Mark details,
there are other "video codecs" (e.g. XviD seems to be popular), "audio
codecs" (AC3, mp2, mp3, Vorbis), and "containers" for the final output
(AVI, OGG, VOB, VCD, SVCD, ...).  It makes a big difference whether you
just want to watch it on your computer or if you want to use a
stand-alone DVD player.

Although specifically for ripping DVDs, you might find these 2 sites
useful as they describe many of the general concepts:

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
http://www.bunkus.org/dvdripping4linux/en/separate/index.html#toc

Good luck!  I'll be looking to see what format you end up using.

Jonathan