[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Foo Lim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:04:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> DivX's compression is definitely better than MPEG2.  And somehow MPEG4 and
> DivX is related but I'm not exactly sure how.  They seem to either share
> compression techniques or have the ability to embed one format in the
> other, or it's just a different name for the same thing -- I'm not sure.
> Anyway, MPEG4 and DivX are very comparable and a video made in one format
> seems to be playable in a player that understands the other format.
>
> -Mark

I think 'DivX ;-)' was originally reverse-engineered from MS's MPEG4
codec.  Or the internals of the codec was hacked out.  That's why they
used to be compatible, but the latest version of 'DivX ;-)' 5 (?) has
enough modifications to not be MPEG4 compatible.

FL