[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Samuel N. Merritt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:54:15 -0700

--f2QGlHpHGjS2mn6Y

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:51:22PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Samuel N. Merritt wrote:
>=20
> > As far as I know, AVI is a container format, not an encoding format.
> > Your software is probably just saving raw frames with a little AVI
> > container data. You'll need to compress them with a real video codec.
> > MPEG-2 isn't the highest-compression thing in the world, but there are
> > good open-source implementations.
>=20
> ummmm... AVI can contain compressed data... xawtv just happens to save it
> in non-compressed format.

Right, that's what I was getting at. It can contain compressed data, but
by itself, it doesn't specify an encoding. That's why Pete's question
about reducing file size by changing format didn't make much sense.=20

Sorry if I was unclear.=20

--=20
Samuel Merritt
OpenPGP key is at http://meat.andcheese.org/~spam/spam_at_andcheese_dot_org=