[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

I think samplerate is for audio and fps is for video.  I recommand keeping
fps at 15 (or higher, if your system can handle it) and samplerate low.
It should be decent.

Because the avi created by xawtv has no compression, you'll need to
compress it after generating the video.  mplayer comes with a program
called mencoder that's *really* nice for that purpose.  After a successful
installation of mplayer with all of Windows codecs, you can generate a
small MPEG4 avi with something like this:

   in=input.avi
   out=output.avi

   for p in 1 2
   do
      mencoder $in -channels 1 -srate 11025 -oac copy \
         -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
         vcodec=msmpeg4:vbitrate=496:vpass=$p -o $out
   done

You can also compresses audio with lame (see the man page for the -oac
option) but I'm not sure how legal that is.  Anyway, the above is a
two-pass system and a webpage I've read recommended that technique but
there are other ways to make it happen, too.  The above is just one way.
Play with the bitrate for better quality.

I hope that helps!

-Mark