[vox-tech] wincast tv: video4linux and copying movies

Samuel N. Merritt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:33:17 -0700

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:19:08PM -0700, p@dirac.org wrote:
> ok, i've been playing around with this for awhile, and the results are
> not great.  i recorded the opening theme of southpark under different
> settings.  the default settings of:
>=20
>    samplerate: 44100=20
>    frames: 12 fps
>=20
> produce a file of 72MB for about 26s of video.  the video is bad,
> but watchable if i'm jonesing for southpark.  if it weren't a cartoon,
> it would truly be unwatchable.
>=20
> i bumped the sample rate up to 48000, however both the video quality and
> filesize don't change.  what exactly is the difference between
> samplerate and fps anyhow?  so then i bumped it up:
>=20
>    samplerate: 44100=20
>    frames: 20 fps
>=20
> the video quality was ok.  certainly watchable, but not "high quality"
> by any stretch of the imagination.  the filesize is 120MB for 26s.  i'm
> already at about 1/6 - 1/7 of the capacity of a CD.  there's no way a 20
> minute video will fit on a CD.  just out of curiosity, i bumped it up
> again to:
>=20
>    samplerate: 44100=20
>    frames: 30 fps
>=20
> the video was good, but still not high quality.  the filesize is a
> whopping 183MB for 26s.  my computer (1.4MHz athlon) is working hard to
> keep sync with audio.
>=20
>=20
> i just upgraded my kernel to 2.4.22, and didn't bother installing the
> low latency patch this time around.  i guess i can try that tomorrow
> evening.
>=20
> i'm a little disheartened.  quake3 can get to very high framerates with
> ease; my machine does q3 very nicely.  but then again, that's all
> hardware accelerated opengl stuff.
>=20
> but in any event, it's filesize that seems to be the show stopper here.
> at this rate, a 20min video will take somewhere between 5GB and 8GB.
> this is unreasonable.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> i'm exhausted and about to call it a night.  does anybody have
> suggestions on how to get good quality video at reasonable filesize?
>=20
> should i be working in a format other than AVI?

As far as I know, AVI is a container format, not an encoding format.
Your software is probably just saving raw frames with a little AVI
container data. You'll need to compress them with a real video codec.
MPEG-2 isn't the highest-compression thing in the world, but there are
good open-source implementations.=20

I've never used it, but I think mencoder (part of mplayer) can do this.=20
=20