[vox-tech] Setting up DNS with BIND

Nicole TWN vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:35:43 -0700

Hi gang

I could use some help filling in the gaps in my knowlege of DNS servers;
time spent on Google has only confused me.  Here's my understanding of how
BIND works:
1. Looks in /etc/named.conf to find out whether it's a master or a slave,
and, if it's a master, where its zone file is;
2. Looks at its zone file, where it finds a bunch of 'A' or 'PTR' records
like "192.168.1.42    A     one.example.com."  This is also called the
'forward' DNS file.

Now, where does the reverse DNS file fit in?  I've come across references
to such a thing--apparently they're full of records like
"42.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  A   one.example.com"  I think I'm supposed to
add a corresponding reverse record whenever I add a forward record (and
before rehupping named), but what's the reverse file usually called and
where does it live?

Thanks--

--nicole twn