[vox-tech] Passing the proper username from Windows XP to Linux via Samba

Jan W vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:04:42 -0700 (PDT)

As mentioned previously, samba is using the 'guest account'.

If you want a quick-and-dirty fix, try editing (or maybe adding) the following
line in smb.conf:

guest account = unixacct

This solves most of my permissions problems.  The smbpasswd thingy works, as
well, but I rely more on this one (I have had weirdness [e.g. passwords that I
set in smbpasswd not working all the time and not working consistently] using
the smbpasswd stuff with winXP, I am going to wait for a few more releases of
samba before I start using it regularly).  I don't know if the weirdness is
samba or winXP, but it's still gives some freaky behavior.  Anyone else had
this eXPerience?  --My $0.02

Here is the part from manpage:

       guest account (S)
              This is a username which will be used for access to
              services  which  are  specified  as   guest ok (see
              below). Whatever privileges this user has  will  be
              available  to  any  client  connecting to the guest
              service.  Typically this user  will  exist  in  the
              password file, but will not have a valid login. The
              user account "ftp" is often a good choice for  this
              parameter.  If  a  username is specified in a given
              service, the specified username overrides this one.

              One some systems the default guest account "nobody"
              may not be able to print. Use  another  account  in
              this case. You should test this by trying to log in
              as your guest user (perhaps by using the su -  com­
              mand)  and  trying  to print using the system print
              command such as lpr(1) or  lp(1).

              Default:  specified  at   compile   time,   usually
              "nobody"

              Example: guest account = ftp

--- Richard Crawford <rscrawford@mossroot.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to perfect my home network.  I have a server running Red Hat
> 8, and I'd like to connect to it from my Windows XP laptop so that files
> I create on my laptop can be edited easily from my Linux desktop.
>
> The problem is that even though I map to the network drive with the
> "user other username and password" function of Windows, and set the
> username and password to the username and password of my account on the
> Linux box, files I create with Windows on the Linux box still show up as
> owned by "nobody".  So I can't edit them on my Linux box without
> chowning them, which is annoying.
>
> I am, of course, using Samba to share out the Linux drive to Windows.
>
> The FM seems to have no answer to this puzzle.  Suggestions, anyone?

=====
POLITICS, n.  A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of
principles.  The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.