[vox-tech] Passing the proper username from Windows XP to Linux via Samba

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, Richard Crawford wrote:

> I'm trying to perfect my home network.  I have a server running Red Hat
> 8, and I'd like to connect to it from my Windows XP laptop so that files
> I create on my laptop can be edited easily from my Linux desktop.
>
> The problem is that even though I map to the network drive with the
> "user other username and password" function of Windows

Never heard of it.  Then again, I don't use XP.

>, and set the
> username and password to the username and password of my account on the
> Linux box,

But Samba uses its own password maintenance utility... it does NOT
piggyback off the normal login security mechanism, so giving your unix
username/password to Windows is hopeless.  While you can certainly set the
Samba password to be the same as the unix password, you have to remember
that when it comes time to change it using "passwd".

> files I create with Windows on the Linux box still show up as
> owned by "nobody".  So I can't edit them on my Linux box without
> chowning them, which is annoying.

You must be accessing a Samba "guest" account since the Samba
user/password is not set to match what you are telling Windows to pass to
Samba.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing