[vox-tech] Hackin' the Zaurus

Nicole TWN vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:04:59 -0700

Hi gang, Nicole here in the third or fourth circle of Hell, AKA Los Angeles.

My favorite geek toy, my beloved Zaurus 5500, recently inspired one of the
interns to get one for his very own.  He opted for the even shinier 5600,
and has
recently made a shocking discovery:  Sharp has changed their synching
mechanism from XML- and TCP-based to some proprietary format and protocol,
not only for the 5600 but also for the latest 5500 ROM.  Works under Windows,
of course, but they aren't doing jack for the open source community.

Well.  THIS cannot be allowed to stand.  Andrew (said intern) is launching
a project
to reverse-engineer the synching protocol and restore the ability to sync
natively in Linux.   All work is (and will be) GPL'd.  If you're
interested, check out his
website at www.cyph.org or drop him a note at cyphactor at socal dot rr dot
com.

Life is good at work.  I have a whole lab of machines to play with.

--nicole twn