[vox-tech] Third NIC question

Michael J Wenk vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:09:55 -0700

Here's a networking question.  I have a linux server(AMD Athlon 900)
with 2 NICs in it now.  It is currently used as a network firewall/NAT
server.  I have a spare hub(it may even be a switch) laying around, and
I am thinking of segmenting my network.  I have several game systems I
want to put up on my network.  I can do it in the current config, yes,
but I may want to restrict the NAT/filter config a bit more.  I am also
wanting to put in a tivo, and while it probably doesn't put much of a
load on the net, if it ever does, it would be nice if that was sheltered
from my other systems.  So, what I plan on doing is throwing a third PCI
NIC in my system(I should have space, if not bye bye mr sound card) and
using that for my new segment.  I'll then NAT that segment as well, but
with a stronger configuration(probably the only ports that will be open
will be ones that need to be opened with everything else locked down
tight)  So my question is, does anyone out there have experience in
running a config like this, and if so are there any gotchyas?  I haven't
done much research in this yet, and I am planning on probably doing this
this weekend some time.

Mike