DVD-9 (was: Re: [vox-tech] DVD playback and burning...)

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:10:11 -0800

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> if you can wait a bit, DVD writers that can write DVD-9 media will be
> coming out soon.  this will double the 4.7GB you can get on DVD-5 media.
>
> it also means you can make backups of your commercial DVD's without
> fiddling with them, like yanking foreign language, yanking subtitles,
> compressing, etc.
>
> i think phillips is coming out with it first.
>
> pete

That would be really cool, but how much will these things cost?  I'm
guessing $500 - $1000, which is out of my price range.  Also, what
DVD9-R media will be available and at what cost?

Anyway, I tend to wait until brand-new technology isn't so brand new
anymore.  I'm happy with DVD5 burning right now, which is a huge step
above CDR.  The cost of DVD4+/-R is really affordable now, too.

Jonathan