[vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:36:50 -0800

That Sony DRU-510A is a good drive. I just bought one at Fry's last week
myself after having success with my wife's external Sony DVD+/-RW drive.
  It has dropped in price about $130 since it first hit the shelves.
Soon it will be replaced by the next model which burns at 8x.

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 02:48:08AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
>
>>I've got also got a sony multiformat burner. Mine only really seems to like
>>to work right with cdrecrod-ProDVD. It's a little picky about blanks, but
>>otherwise works well. I'd be happy to lend you a DVD+RW to play with.

>>install libdvdcss, then ogle (or mplayer, but it's menu support sucks). I
>>personaly compiled these from source....
>

> Note that step 1 is to figure out data storage, rather than DVD authoring :)
> 5GB is a nice size for backups or "move this crap off the HD" storage.

Ogle, mplayer, or xine (which is what I use) are all media players that
will play DVDs.  You need another set of software for DVD authoring,
which is even much more complicated.  I've given up doing DVD authoring
in Linux :(

>>I know doug does dvd burning and whatnot under linux, but I do not know what
>>distro he uses.
>

> Again, see above.  I wanna do "drop 4GB of files onto the disc so I can read
> them later," and not necessarily "let's make a DVD movie to watch" :^)

There has been a few threads here about DVD burning (wrapped up with DVD
authoring, so you may have overlooked them).  I never had any success
personally, but I will try again soon.  I tried using DVD+RW tools,
which can be found here: http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/  But
  it didn't work for me, so I will try cdrecord-ProDVD next like Ryan
suggests.  (Right now I do DVD burning in Windows with Sony's bundled
software)

Jonathan