[vox-tech] DVD playback and burning under Debian; IDE DVD+/-RW drive

Ryan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:48:08 -0800

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 01:31 am, Bill Kendrick nbs-at-sonic.net=20
|lugod| wrote:
> I was at Fry's the other day, looking to FINALLY buy a CD burner.
> I happened to run into a LUGOD attendee (Steve, who I vaguely recognized,
> but sadly barely remembered - sorry, Steve!), who recommended a DVD burner
> they were having a mail-in rebate deal for.
>
> So, I decided that 4.7GB is, indeed, much greater than 800MB, so I went
> with it!  It's a Sony DRU-510A "DVD +/- RW / +/- R / CD" ATAPI/EIDE drive,
> which sports the following capabilities and corresponding R/W speeds:
>
>   DVD+RW   (4x)
>   DVD-RW   (2x)
>   DVD+R    (4x)
>   DVD-R    (4x)
>   DVD-ROM (12x)
>   CD-RW   (16x)
>   CD-R    (24x)
>   CD-ROM  (32x)
>
> Aside from that fact that I have NO IDEA what "DVD+RW" is, compared to
> "DVD-RW", it seems neato-nifty-keen...

+RW is random writeable. You could format it as ext2 and mount it :)

> My problem is, I don't know the first thing about this kind of stuff.
> Once upon a time, I had an IDE CDR drive installed, and Mike Simons and
> I tried to get it working.  Never seemed to succeed in burning anything,
> and then eventually failed even as a CDROM drive, so I decided it probably
> wasn't Mike and I being stupid, and probably just the drive slowing dying.
>

> I've played a little with the CD capabilities of the drive, and have just
> burned my VERY FIRST CD!!!  (My recent TuxPaint ISO for the demo I had
> at the Co-op back in October.)

Well, if you've got it burning CD's then you're half way there.

I've got also got a sony multiformat burner. Mine only really seems to like=
=20
to work right with cdrecrod-ProDVD. It's a little picky about blanks, but=
=20
otherwise works well. I'd be happy to lend you a DVD+RW to play with.

Having one around was great when I was figuring out how to go from TiVo to=
=20
DVD.

Hey, now that you've got a burner, how about you let me hack your TiVo to=
=20
allow you to extract video over the LAN? ;-)

> I haven't the foggiest idea how to get it to play DVDs, and therefore
> haven't even CONSIDERED buying any DVD-ROMs to try and burn. :^)

install libdvdcss, then ogle (or mplayer, but it's menu support sucks). I=
=20
personaly compiled these from source....

Intrestingly enough, both do a wonderful job of playing DVDs, and totaly=20
ignore copy protection (that's actualy libdvdcss). If it can't get the=20
decryption key for the disc from the drive (mine can't as my drive has no=
=20
region code set) it just cracks the keys :) (this takes less then 10 second=
s=20
on most discs)

ogle and mplayer both can also play DVDs that have been copied to my hard=
=20
drive using dd :)

> Noone here happens to have experience with DVD reading and writing using
> an IDE drive under 2.4.18 Kernel in Debian Woody...??? :^) :^)

I'm running 2.4.19 on this beast, but not debian.

I know doug does dvd burning and whatnot under linux, but I do not know wha=
t=20
distro he uses.

- --=20
On pgp.mit.edu, import with `gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key 72177BC=
7`