[vox-tech] Reinstalling GRUB

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:19:53 -0800

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 11:05:16AM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Can someone tell me how to reinstall GRUB from the command line?
>=20
> I had to reformat my Windows partition and so GRUB got eaten.  I checked=
=20
> various documentation, and even asked SuSE Support how to reinstall GRUB,=
 but=20
> no one has given me the answer. =20
>=20
> There is a simple command for reinstalling LILO.  If I type /usr/sbin/gru=
b I=20
> get a GRUB> prompt, but then I don't know what to do next.

There is some way of entering commands at the GRUB commandline that will=20
install grub, but I don't know what it is - /usr/sbin/grub is a copy of=20
the bootloader itself but I don't know what its capabilities are.

Use the grub-install command which should be in the same directory.

>=20
> I finally figured out how to do it with YAST, and so I'm okay.  But I've =
seen=20
> too many GNOME and KDE GUI programs fail, and for something as important =
as=20
> installing a bootloader when Windows is in the neighborhood, I would feel=
=20
> more secure if I could reinstall GRUB from the command line.

--=20
My key was last signed 10/14/2003. If you use GPG *please* see me about=20

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--