[vox-tech] Reinstalling GRUB

Robert G. Scofield vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:05:16 -0800

Can someone tell me how to reinstall GRUB from the command line?

I had to reformat my Windows partition and so GRUB got eaten.  I checked
various documentation, and even asked SuSE Support how to reinstall GRUB, but
no one has given me the answer.

There is a simple command for reinstalling LILO.  If I type /usr/sbin/grub I
get a GRUB> prompt, but then I don't know what to do next.

I finally figured out how to do it with YAST, and so I'm okay.  But I've seen
too many GNOME and KDE GUI programs fail, and for something as important as
installing a bootloader when Windows is in the neighborhood, I would feel
more secure if I could reinstall GRUB from the command line.

Thank you.

Bob