[vox-tech] User with root privileges

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:37:22 -0800

On Mon 24 Nov 03,  7:06 PM, Michael Wenk <wenk@praxis.homedns.org> said:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 04:58 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > On Mon 24 Nov 03,  2:39 AM, Michael Wenk <wenk@praxis.homedns.org> said:

> > > Well for the longest time I had my passwd entry UIDing my user acct to
> > > UID 0. The only reason I changed the way I did it was because I mated my
> > > home system to a work network, and that forced me to do so.

> > > Actually, the way you put it was quite unclear:
> > >
> > > "and you would change a user's UID or GID to do this?"
> >
> > ok, so now you understand.
> >
> > the way i put it was clear enough if you had read the previous message.
> > you jumped into a thread without reading the previous posts: everyone
> > else (except you) understood because they did read the previous posts.
>
> Actually I read every post before I responded to yours.  Yours made utterly no
> sense in the context i was in at the time.

> > > Funny that you are calling me unprofessional.  That is a good one.  Maybe
> > > you ought to act the way
> > >
> > > And I am laughing because you are missing the obvious.  I wonder how good
> > > the lock is on your door?  Or the door itself?
> >
> > who the hell cares?
>
> I am saying that first and foremost, physical security is the foundation of
> all security.  If the place where the box lives is not secure, you can add as
> much fancy shmancy crap you want, it will not matter, someone who wants your
> data badly enough will just take your box.   Is that clear enough for you, or
> do I need to word it more simply?
>
> You know what, kiss my ass.  Go ahead find a place to hire you, get 8 or 9
> years of experience with security and then we'll talk.
>
> > most of the people who hack into computers are looking to install DoS
> > servers, IRC servers, poke around people's files and collect accounts to
> > trade with other hackers.  NOT to steal hard drive contents.  but you
> > seem to laugh at this.
> >
> > that's the main danger of not caring about the security of a home system
> > on DSL.  we don't give a flying fuck about physical security.  this
> > isn't corporate.  we care about people breaking into our systems and
> > making them a launch pad for hacking other systems, spam and kiddie
> > porn.  but you seem to laugh at this.
>
> Actually, you were talking about doing this professionally.  Look at it this
> way, any of that crap happens, you will find it pretty friggin quickly.  You
> do that, you rebuild your box, and then you're done.  Odds are you'll not be
> hit again.  No one I personally know has been hit by a hacker in that way,
> and no one I know has done anything beyond really simple crap like securing
> services that takes perhaps 15-20 minutes.  Then look at all the time you
> spend at it going beyond that, compare it with the time you spent building
> your system in the first place.  For me, that's pretty solidly more time
> spent actually securing the thing than building it(and doing such small
> things as turning off services and running strobe against the system to make
> [...]

mike,

mark understood.
ryan understood.
rhonda understood.

you're the odd man out.  your responses have largely been non-sequitar.
i suspect that's because you're simply not reading our emails.  if you
refuse to read what other people write, it's a waste of everyone's time.

i'm done with you until you learn how to read an email and respond to it
in a relevent manner.

peter

ps- for the record, i've been both a black hat and a professional white
hat for many years and have been involved in security, one way or
another, probably for longer than you have.