[vox-tech] html question

Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:17:38 -0800

On Fri 21 Nov 03, 12:55 PM, Micah J. Cowan <micah@cowan.name> said:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:43:54AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > dear lugod,
> >

> > consider:
> >

> >    SPAN.head
> >    {
> >       font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial;
> >       color: white;
> >       font-variant: small-caps;
> >       font-weight: 900;
> >       word-spacing: 5px;
> >       letter-spacing: 2px;
> >       font-size: small;
> >       font-weight: bold;
> >    }
> >
> >    BODY
> >    {
> >       font-family: Times;
> >    }
> >
> >    <BODY>
> >    <SPAN class="head">hello world</SPAN>
> >    </BODY>
> >

> I'm assuming the CSS is wrapped in <STYLE></STYLE>?

yeah!

> > on my browser (opera 7.22), "hello world" is in times font with
> > small-caps variant.
> >
> > i would've expected verdana font with small-caps variant.
>
> So would I. It works as expected in Mozilla.
>
> > shouldn't the <SPAN> tag take precedence over <BODY> since <BODY> is an
> > "outer" tag?
>
> Yes. Could you repost with your actual URL, or a /tested/ snippet that
> shows what you're having problems with?

yeah -- if you have time, check out www.dirac.org/p/peter.html.  it's
actually a resume.  the headings are in the black bars:

  | Talks Given:                                     |

which are coded by:

   <TABLE class="head" cellpadding=3 bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width=100%>
   <TR BGCOLOR="black"><TD>
   <SPAN class="head">Talks Given:</SPAN>
   </TD></TR></TABLE>

so they're part of the "SPAN.head" class, which you can see above (or by
downloading the webpage).   they're sans-serif.  but if you add

   BODY
   {
      font-family: times;
   }

they become serif fonts.  totally not what i was expecting.  thank you
for verifying that i'm not going insane!

> BTW, word-spacing or letter-spacing are probably better specified
> relative to the font-size: that is, in ems.

dang.  i should've remembered that from latex, which has the same
issues.  thanks for pointing that out.  i'll change it.

pete

--
"Nobody steals our chicks.  And lives." -- Duke Nukem (played on Linux)