[vox-tech] User with root privileges

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:56:40 -0800 (PST)

> so we have a guy who presumably owns a solaris box.  he wants to install
> something.  i forget what it was.  oracle?  anyway.  he wants to do it
> from an account named "joeschmo", rather than "root".

I installed Oracle on a Solaris 9 box.  To do so I created a user for
Oracle, but nothing special had to be done beyond that.  At one point I
needed to su to root to run a single script as part of the installation
process, but that was it.

In this case the program is Arcserve, which is backup software.  I have
yet to look at the installation procedure, and it seems to need a "high
level user account".

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous
group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the
desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man.
I wouldn't mess with them."
--Michael Moore