[vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:48:59 -0800 (PST)

Another solution is to install Win2K on a FAT partition instead of NTFS
(one of the choices in the Win2K install.

This does a couple of things:

1. Allows you to install Lilo for dual-boot they way a lot of the help
docs explain it (they are assuming that you have a Win9X machine).  With
not NTFS, there is also not NTLoader so Win2K becomes a little more
flexible about sharing the hard-drive.

2. Allows you to read/write to your Win2K partition without all the
undocumented, unsupported NTFS woes.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Linux
FAT file system support is pretty solid, and NTFS support is still
considered read-only and/or experimental.  In my experience, if your other
OS is on a FAT file system, you don't even have to do anything to mount it
(i.e. RedHat and Slackware, from my experience, both detect and mount the
drive at boot).  No modules to load, or kernels to recompile or any of
that stuff...

Dave M