[vox-tech] dual booting with win2k woes

R. Douglas Barbieri vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:48:25 -0800

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:51:27AM -0800, Rod Roark wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2003 08:34 am, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > 1. system already had linux on hda and hdb
> > 2. unplugged hda and hdb completely.
> > 3. installed a new hdc.
> > 3. installed win2k on hdc.
> > 4. plugged hda and hdb back in.
> > 5. added this to lilo.conf and ran lilo:
>=20
> Dunno about Win2K but in my experience Windows wants to be
> on the first drive.  Try cabling the Windows disk as hda and
> see if it boots up.

In my experience, Win2k is pretty picky about how it was set up, falling
in love with the current hard drive configuration. If you try to either
copy the windows partition to another drive, or move the drive to a
different IDE (or go from master to slave), Win2k will hang until you
run setup again and "rescue" the system. This makes me really appreciate
Linux. :-)

> If so, then the remaining task is to set up Linux as hdb and
> hdc (make a boot diskette, change /etc/fstab, etc.), and
> install lilo onto hda.

It's possible that you might be able to install Win2K on a disk other
than hda. Try booting with your win2k setup disc, and when the installer
asks which partition to install windows on, try selecting "hdc" and see
if it will let you. If successful, run the windows setup program again.
Boot up with a linux rescue disk, re-run lilo, then you should be good
to go. I'd be interested if this works or not.

If setup gripes and doesn't let you set windows up on anything but hda,
then you may want to follow Rod's advice and change your linux disks
(maybe consider putting your linux discs on the secondary ide). My
dual-boot system is set up that way--hda is a windows-only disk, hdc and
hdd are my linux disks.