[vox-tech] Assistance With C Program

Daniel Hurt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:40:56 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

I am working on some physics simulations written in C, and I have been
having problems with memory leaks and efficiencies.  I have been coding in
C for about a year and half now, but have not done much outside of
researched based programming.  Throughout my programming, I have had very
little feedback about the quality of the code (e.g. efficiency, style and
algorithm implementation), just the results that I produce. I was
wondering if there would be someone interested in taking a few hours and
looking over a couple pieces of code that I have written and help me out
in the above areas.

Specifically:  Finding possible memory leaks and when it is appropriate to
use the free() functions. Next, I am not too terribly sure on how to use a
debugger to track down the leak.  Finally, just discussing programming
style with someone who knows C to look at it and critique the code.  The
code itself works, it just takes an exceedingly long time and every so
often I am running into problems with the size of the program.  I do not
need help with the physics behind what is going on because the code
actually generates good results. I am just trying to analyze larger
systems that should be well within the limits and encountering problems.

I would be willing to pay for the tutoring (mentoring), whether it be
money, dinner, a donation to LUGOD and/or some combination therein.

Finally, if you know someone who might be interested, or if you think that
I should contact someone directly, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan Hurt
dwhurt@ucdavis.edu