[vox-tech] gentoo's "portage" vs. debian's "apt-get"

Dmitriy vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:17:04 -0800

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:24:22PM -0800, Michael J Wenk wrote:
> >=20
> > A downside: there's no corporation behind Debian, so some complex thing=
s=20
> > can take a long time to get upgraded. They're still testing out XFree=
=20
> > 4.3 for example, not yet ready to upload it into Debian/unstable.
> >=20
>=20
> Another plug towards gentoo, the dependency management is fairly good.
> I have not had any issues with it, however I for the most part avoid
> testing/unstable packages.  Also, you have the ability to compile a
> package, insert a stub and have portage know about it.  In other words,
> if you're system has an anchient perl5 and you want perl5.8, you can
> pull it down, and stub the package and not have it break the whole
> apt/dselect system.=20
>=20

eeeh?

--=20
	GPG key-id: 1024D/DF04A255                 Dmitriy
	AA16 8FAB 74E1 3511 83D0  9F4B F087 CEC9 DF04 A255
	********* please encrypt all email to me *********

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--