[vox-tech] gentoo's "portage" vs. debian's "apt-get"

Edward Elliott vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:25:43 -0800

Jonathan, I've been using Gentoo as my introduction to Linux. I'll give you a newbies perspective.

1) I installed from Live CD. The docs are reasonable and eventually even I got it working.
2) Portage is amazingly simple and works well. It also lets you override and customize anything and everything, so I have the sense that for the more adventurous it is both powerful and dangerous.
3) Gentoo and Portage are made for high speed systems and fast links to the Internet. I have a 1.7Ghz P4 with RAMBUS memory and several times I have had to let installs/updates run overnight.
4) Gentoo and Portage is hard on those without strong technical grounding in UNIX/Linux and kernel compiles. So I'm in big trouble and I've been floundering for a while trying to recover from a kernel compile.

I'm very impressed with Gentoo and Portage, if you are a person with strong Linux skills and a fast PC I think you would find it very interesting.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@myrealbox.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:06:14 -0800
To: vox-tech <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Subject: [vox-tech] gentoo's "portage" vs. debian's "apt-get"

Re: It is time for me to move away from RedHat.  At the moment, I am
Re: considering Gentoo and Debian (with the libranet installer).
Re:
Re: A distribution specific feature I consider important is the method for
Re: installing and updating software.  I know that Debian uses "apt-get",
Re: and I have seen a number of posts on this list with apt-get examples.
Re: Gentoo's website advertises "portage" as its method for installing and
Re: updating, using the "emerge" command.
Re:
Re: I'd like to hear (concisely) pros/cons of these two methods; whether
Re: they just work, or if they require some tinkering; and the availability
Re: of software through each.
Re:
Re: Please avoid "but my distro is best" responses ;-)
Re:
Re: Thanks!
Re: Jonathan
Re: