[vox-tech] Data Recovery

Larry Ozeran vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 17:53:00 -0700

Mark,

thanks for the suggestions, but I am not optimistic about a software
solution. The drive is an IBM Travelstar (now Hitachi) which my search led
me to find is a very common laptop drive, and known for this problem.
Apparently the head crashes intermittently into the platter(s) for a while
(it sounds like it is writing for 1-2 seconds), until _all_ it does is
crash. My drive is at the point where it clicks and grunts, and would
continue to do so if I did not power off (by removing the battery). The
service guys were _very_ familiar with the drive and the problem and
suggested not turning the power on any more since more head crashes are
likely to lead to data loss. Not very encouraging.

-- Larry