[vox-tech] Linux graphing software?

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 16:02:29 -0700

It won't be long before someone recommends gnuplot.  I haven't used it
much due to my reliance on Matlab (which runs nicely in Linux, but
certainly isn't "free").  Another option is Octave, an open source
program very much like Matlab, which happens uses gnuplot for plotting.

Anyway, my contribution to this thread is to recommend xfig for
"post-processing" of plots as well as drawing original diagrams.  I have
found it invaluable in touching up Matlab exported plots, such as
modifying axis labels, etc.  xfig exports in numerous formats, some of
which import very nicely into LaTeX.  In particular, I use the export
option "combined PS/LaTeX", allowing me to use LaTeX syntax for the text
in the figures.

Jonathan