[vox-tech] graphics card suggestion for 1920x1200

Mike Simons vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 16:02:55 -0400

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 10:21:29AM -0700, jeremic@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> I just got a SONY sdm-P232W LCD monitor and was wondering if anyone can
> suggest a graphics card for this one.

Boris,

  Not being very into graphics cards, I would recommend some ATI brand
card, since they have open 3D drivers, which will be better for you
long term.  I would avoid NVidia since they have closed 3D drivers.
  Performance to day is not as important as being able to use your card
in 2 years when NVidia decides to stop forward porting their fast (but
proprietary) crap.

> My concern is the 1920x1200 resolution.=20

  Any modern graphics card should be able to drive that LCD panel.

  Historically the main reason you would have problems doing a high
resolution setting is if the video card didn't have enough memory.
You need about 9 Megs of video memory to do 32 bit color on that,
and I doubt you can find any new video cards for sale with as little=20
memory as that.

> Can it be done from linux (redhat)?=20

  Yes... you may have some initial driver problems depending on which
video card you pick, but nothing is special about redhat vs other
distributions.

> Should I look for card with digital RGB (DVI) or (default) analog RGB
> (HD15) outputs?

  I would recommend a DVI based card since your panel can do it.
If you intend to hook other monitors without DVI upto this new card
later, then don't.

--=20

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q

--J5MfuwkIyy7RmF4Q--