[vox-tech] Question about Tar

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 11:40:06 -0700 (PDT)

Jeff,

Thanks for your input and suggestions.  And yeah, I made a couple of typos
in my earlier message which probably caused some confusion.

Anyway, I redid the "find" command to look like this:

$ find . -type d -print | grep "message" > dlcmessages

Then I did this for the tar command:

$ tar -cvfX dlctar.tar --exclude-from=dlcmessages .

and it worked!  Not perfectly, but close enough for government work.

I also installed the GNU version of tar.  I think I've installed the GNU
version of just about every major tool on this Solaris computer that I've
used.