[vox-tech] Conversion

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 12:59:21 -0700

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 10:52 AM, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 01:41:41PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
>> Hypothetically speaking, how difficult would it be to switch an
> existing
>> RH box to Debian?  Assuming, of course, that all of the home
> directories
>> and downloaded extra software live on different partitions than
> root...
>
>   This is easy ... as Gabe mentioned it can be done remotely.

Is it really?  I've been having problems doing this myself, as I try to
migrate a Gentoo system to Debian stable.  The main problem is that I
can't get the system to boot, and I think this is because I can't get
mkinitrd to work.  I followed the instructions in the Debian install
guide (section 3.8 or so, I think), but started having problems with
the kernel installation step.  I get:

# apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-k6
<warning about initrd, telling me I need to configure my bootloader
manually>
Setting up kernel-image-2.4.18-k6 (2.4.18-5) ...
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root file system
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.18-k6 (--configure):
  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 29
  kernel-image-2.4.18-k6

The key being "/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root file system".
Furthermore, if I try to spoon feed mkinitrd with:

# mkinitrd -o test.img -r /dev/hdb1 /lib/modules/2.4.18-k6

I get the same error.

I have noticed some curious things when I'm in the chroot environment.
For one thing, /etc/mtab claims that /proc is the only mounted file
system:

# cat /etc/mtab
proc /proc proc rw 0 0

And df has a similar view:

# df -h
proc                  1.1G  460M  616M  43% /proc

The curious thing is that it seems to think that the root filesystem is
mounted under /proc; the used/available information is correct for the
file system on the root device.  Doing a "mount -a" doesn't change
anything.  My /etc/fstab looks like:

# file system   mount point     type    options         dump    pass
/dev/hdb1       /               ext2    defaults        1       1
/dev/hdb2       none            swap    sw              0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto    noauto,rw,sync,user,exec 0 0

So... it seems to me that maybe something is wrong in the chroot?  It
seems that if this is the way things should be, it would be impossible
to run mkinitrd from inside a chroot, in which case it would seem like
for your initial boot you'd have to use a kernel that doesn't use
initrd, but that hasn't come up in any of the documents I've read
(including the Debian planet article that was mentioned earlier in this
thread).  Maybe I should try this on a RH system so I have a basis for
comparison.

Ah, one more thing.  I'm using Grub as my bootloader, as I'm keeping
the Gentoo system around for the time being, and it's set up with Grub.
  My Grub entry for Debian looks like:

title=Debian
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-k6 root=/dev/hdb1
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k6
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-k6

which I got from a newsgroup thread on booting a Debian kernel with
initrd in some newsgroup somewhere.  But I'm right in assuming that
this won't work without a working initrd image, no?  So far, every boot
attempt I've made with the Debian kernel has resulted in a kernel panic
because it can't mount the root file system.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong, or if maybe my Gentoo system is just
sufficiently wonky that the chroot command doesn't work as it does
elsewhere?

Matt

--
Matt Holland