[vox-tech] Anyone else mess up their KDE install this week?

Ken Bloom vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:09:53 -0700

On 2003.05.21 14:24, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> I'm running a Deb-testing system... and trusted apt-get a bit more
> than I
> should have.
>
> a) Anyone else have apt-get try to update 108 megs of KDE libraries,
> and
> have the update die because one of the main packages (kdelibs4) is
> held
> back? -- destroying KDE in the process?  If you haven't -- watch out
> with
> that upgrade thingie.
>
> b) short of actually LOOKING at the "we're going to replace" report
> like
> anyone with brains would have ... any way I can tell that 'this
> upgrade will
> not work, and will kill one of your environments in the process'?
>
> c) the debian-bugs listings are telling me why a library/package is
> busted,
> and what packages it depends on that are busted ... but are there any
> decent
> places to find estimates on how soon it'll be fixed?
>
> Thanx

What unofficial apt source are you using for KDE? KDE 3 hasn't
propagated to testing yet. As a result, I don't think the debian bug
listings will be too helpful for you.

Also, what kind of "update die"ing occurred? Try running apt-get dist-
upgrade or apt-get upgrade or whatever it was that you did to try to
update 108 Megs of KDE libraries, and send us the errors. (Yes, I saw
that you don't particularly want to tell us this)

Try running `apt-get -f install` and see whether it can fix things.

Fingerprint: D5E2 8839 6ED3 3305 805C  941F 9476 A9BD E2B2 CAD1
The key is keyID E2B2CAD1 on pgp.mit.edu