[vox-tech] Telnetting to port 80 when you don't run telnet on the server

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 20 May 2003 11:38:27 -0700 (PDT)

> In the mod-perl (eagle) book.  They have a lot of examples of telnetting
> port 80, doing a GET and looking at the output (like the headers and
> stuff).
> I run woody, I don't have telnet, like a good boy I use ssh.  Can some
> suggest a workaround, or do I have to install telnet on my server to do
> the
> examples

I hope I am not assuming this incorrectly, but I think you are making an
assumption here.
You do not need to install "telnetd" in order to have "telnet"
Telnetd is the server, and is a service you should not have when you can
use sshd instead. Telnet is the client, and it is useful to have (without
telnetd) and having only telnet installed (and not telnetd) is not
exposing a telnet service from your machine.

If you really don't want the telnet client, check into "nc" (netcat).

-ME