[vox-tech] Telnetting to port 80 when you don't run telnet on the server

Tue, 20 May 2003 10:35:16 -0700

jay, telnet and telnetd are different packages on debian.

it's fine to install telnet (or better yet, telnet-ssl).  there's no
security risk in running telnet if you don't type a password.

what you *don't* want to do is run telnetd on your system.  so go ahead
and do an "apt-get install telnet" or "apt-get install telnet-ssl".

just don't use it to transmit passwords (which you don't have to do from
your description below) and you'll be safe and sound.

pete

On Tue 20 May 03, 12:26 PM, Jay Strauss <me@heyjay.com> opined: