[vox-tech] Exported X-windows - bandwidth req's

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 19 May 2003 17:58:36 -0700 (PDT)

I've done it over 14.4kbps modem and ISDN (115kbps).  The problem isn't
the bandwidth but the latency.  Typing one character, then waiting for the
response takes forever over a dialup, though ISDN was better.  That's with
text connection, anyway, like an X term.

As for graphical apps, I tried to X a small graphical app over 14.4 and
found it wasn't too horrible if I was patient enough.  I also tried to X
MaxPlus II over ISDN, and it wasn't so bad except Max doesn't work well
remotely due to messy colors and bad interaction with the window manager
(colors are all dark and you can't shuffle it below other windows and you
can't unstick it...)

Anyway, it's worth a try if you wanna give it a shot.  Depending on what
you wanna do, it may or may not be bearable.  Good luck!

-Mark