[vox-tech] un-tar failing on large job

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 16 May 2003 16:13:36 -0700 (PDT)

Avoid using the built-in uncompression part of tar:
$ zcat filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
(Or if .bz2 file:)
$ bzcat filename.tar.bz2

If that fails...

See if the error comes up when you just list the contents of the tarbal:
$ zcat filname.tar.gz | tar txv -

(Watch where it fails to read)

Also, is the tarball a ".Z" or ".gz" or ".bz " file?

Try to repeat the extract multiple times. If the error comes up at
different points, then this suggests hardware. If the the same points,
that suggests hardware. (Of course these are not absolute rules, just
common associations.)

Since you say the md5 checksums are correct, it is not an issue of
transfer (8-bit image vs 7 bit ASCII.)

-ME